Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Making Tetrax in GBP, Pondicherry 2010















After a long time, I am updating information about whats been happening in my work scenario.

Apart from one group exhibition at Dakhinchitra(chennai), I very much kept glued to GBP, the studio where I work.

My friends from Pondy, beleive that I dont stay in the town of Pondicherry!!
I suppose I am camouflaged ;)


Over this period at the studio,

there were three students; march through september, by the end of which they had learnt wheel work and hand building etc.; made a good body of work and done 3 firings in a 25cft kiln and 1 in the 70cft car kiln.

Rebecca, from Switerland was here for half a month to make two large sculptural works, and she also demonstrated for us, her way of pit-firing.

the production pottery is working in its own pace, mostly, firing once a month in the 70cft car kiln.

since January2010, a group of us have been working on a project of making ceramic pieces for a sculpture garden. there have been several large works made in clay, bisque fired, glazed and high fired in the 140cft car kiln. a few of us have been involved in assisting it, in all its stages of making.

One of the work for this project is my tetrax. I have prepared a visual story of its making for you, which I plan to upload part by part.
I hope that you would be able to link up the loose threads .... ty.






...taking you back to the time when my 58" clay piece collapsed while in making; I took to a different approach in making the 4 feet size tetrax.

I decided to make a solid clay piece and take the mold from it.
as it is a bilaterally symmetrical form, most noticeably does not have a flat base..,
I decided to make half the solid form. and then, make the mold.



No comments:

Post a Comment