Sunday, March 25, 2012

Jae Joon Lee, an Inko project @ GBP, Pondicherry















I received a call from Rathi Zafer asking me if I could help a Korean artist fire his work in Ray 140cft kiln at Golden Bridge Pottery. It was urgent as the exhibition was to open on the 14th.
I am never sure if ceramic and urgent go together.
Anyway, I agreed to help.
On 12th morning 10am, Ray and I received the Korean artist Jae Joon Lee at the studio at GBP.
Ray has a big kiln and a nice studio facilitated with fork lifts, boards, bricks etc. This is the only studio of its kind in India.
Joon participating in a ceramic camp being held by Inko in Chennai. He brought with him two parts of his large scale work. These were already fired once to 1250 deg C. After applying an oxide in the depressions, he carefully applied a Terrasigilatta all over the surface.

Finished loading the kiln by 730pm and started firing. This was to be fired to 1050 deg C in oxidation atmosphere.
I had never fired this 140 cft wood-fired kiln in an oxidation atmosphere. So, here I was learning it. :)

Working with the artist, it was a beautiful experience when I saw - the artist sitting outside watching the kiln, was one with his work inside the kiln. Those were some fantastic moments.
The firing finished at 230am.

Unloaded on 14th morning. Packed and sent to Chennai.

I visited Chennai on the 16th, and saw in the exhibition some of his works from Korea. The surface quality and colours were the same.
I got convinced that the kiln kept up the oxidation atmosphere most of the time to give such similar effects!!

2 comments: